Monday, November 10, 2014

Special Guest Blogger: Kathy’s Blog: Living Well- Not as hard as you think!

Health and wellness has always been my thing.  Even before I became interested in nursing I was drinking the Kool -Aid of what ever was healthy at the time.
I come from a very active family.  My whole family played tennis growing up.  We rode bikes, swam in the summer, did our own yard work.  My parents who are in their 80’s still walk, play tennis, and ride bikes.  It is just who we are.  Back as a teenager I don’t think we exercised to be fit.  We did all those activities because they were fun and we were with our friends. 
Eating right was also just what I did.  In college, I was more of a hippy with hippy ideals.  I did Outward Bound for 3 months mid way through my college education.  There I learned how to make yogurt and bake my own bread and continued to be interested in food preparation.  Cookbooks have been one of my collectables.  So, while kids were hitting the fast food joints, I was seeking out the vegetarian restaurants.
My thoughts on nutrition have evolved over the years but I am still eating a diet that, for the most part, I have prepared and is what I consider to be pretty healthy.  My down fall, like for many of us, is an over active sweet tooth that surfaces way too much!

So fast-forward 30 years from that Outward Bound semester to today.  I’m still exercising and still eating what I think for the most part is a healthy diet.  For someone who just turned 55, I think I feel pretty good.  This is the way I live and I hope I can encourage others to do so too!  Stay Tuned!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment