Tuesday, January 21, 2014


ANTI-AGING MEDICINE: WHERE? INSIGHT?

I had something very disturbing happen last week while in an exam room with a patient.  She saw my certificate of membership with the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (ACAM) and asked, “What do you guys offer that is anti-aging?  I need some of that.”  For a minute, I was speechless.  I couldn’t believe that someone who had been our patient since 2009 did not know what we do that is anti-aging.  And then I thought, “Is it really not that obvious or do people not understand what anti-aging medicine is?”

Anti-aging is defined by Webster’s as something used or tending to prevent or lessen the effects of aging.  ACAM defines it as a medical specialty founded on the application of advanced scientific and medical technologies for the early detection, prevention, treatment, and reversal of age-related dysfunction, disorders, and diseases.

EVERYTHING WE DO AT INSIGHT AND RESTORE IS ALL ABOUT ANTI-AGING!

People don’t always understand that there is a big difference between healthspan and lifespan.  Healthspan is how long you live and are functional and can enjoy your life.  Lifespan is how long you live birth to death and many of those years may be full of sickness and disease and non-functional.  Our goal at Insight and Restore has always been to help you change your lifestyle so that your healthspan equals your lifespan and you enjoy your life to the fullest until the day you die.

Since the first anti-aging conference that I went to in 2005, my medical practice has continued year to year to radically change.  I finally learned how the human body can restore and heal itself if given the right tools.  I learned how I can help people change their choices and become healthier than they’ve ever been.  I’ve continued to learn more and more and apply it to my clinical practice.  It excites me every day to share what I’ve learned with my patients and see them make choices that will ultimately add healthy years to their lives.  That’s worth getting up in the morning for!

So what do we do here that is considered anti-aging medicine?  Here’s just a sampling of the services:

1.      Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy
2.      Weight loss/nutrition counseling
3.      Gastrointestinal balance and healing
4.      Stress reduction
5.      Exercise
6.      Neutraceuticals instead of pharmaceuticals
7.      Hormone balance
8.      VI Peel
9.      Detoxification & Far Infrared Sauna therapy
10.  IV vitamin therapy
11.  And more….

Most people think of anti-aging medicine as skin peels, Botox, skin care, face lifts, etc.  But anti-aging starts from the inside out.  There’s not enough product you can slather on or enough skin to peel off or lift up that can totally take care of the aging process.  You have to do all of the things I’ve listed above, start with the inside first, AND do the skin care.

Starting as young as possible is ideal.  I started using anti-aging products on my face in my early 20’s.  I did it to help decrease acne but it has helped prevent wrinkles.  Yeah!  Once I started learning anti-aging medicine, I added in all of the things listed above.  However, it is NEVER too late to start.  Anything you do from the list above will help increase your healthspan.  Our bodies are amazing!  As soon as you start giving them what they need, they start the healing and restoration process.

I encourage you to not get distracted with all of the external treatments promoted as “anti-aging” and forget the importance of the internal treatments.  In the end, the internal treatments are what count the most.  I can personally live with a few wrinkles as long as my mind and body work well and I can enjoy every moment of my life!

If you haven’t fully grasped how what we do is anti-aging medicine or you are not sure what else you can and should do, I urge you to make an appointment with your nurse practitioner to develop a plan for you.  We love doing these things for ourselves and for you.  We are always here to help!
 
Sincerely,
Tabetha L. Smith, FNP-C

No comments:

Post a Comment