Monday, December 9, 2013

Gratitude In the Coming New Year

GRATITUDE IN THE COMING NEW YEAR


As we prepare for the coming New Year, I wanted to share some personal experiences at a New Year that radically altered the direction of my life.  Some of you have heard my story, but many of you have not.  I hope it impacts you and, if needed, helps you set a new course in your life.  My life has never been the same.

The year of 2010 was “the year from hell” (no other way to really put it!) in my professional and personal life.  By the end of that year, I was on the edge of a mental and emotional breakdown.  I was to find out later that those closest to me also thought I was about to break and end up in a psychiatric facility.

I had seen my mom, who struggled with manic-depression, go in and out of mental hospitals for breakdowns throughout my childhood and teen years.  I did not want to end up in that same pattern, and I knew I was at risk.

As I contemplated 2011, I came to the realization that I could not go through another year like 2010 and survive.  I realized that I HAD to do something different.  About that time, I heard someone (I don’t even remember who) talking about keeping a gratitude journal. 

A gratitude journal consists of writing down at least 1 thing you are grateful for every single day of your life.  I decided to begin 2011 with the commitment to write at least 1 thing down that I was grateful for before bed every night.  I have not stopped doing it ever since.

I have been on many mission trips to third world countries; and, compared to those people, even the homeless people in America are blessed.  Those of us who have access to a computer to read this blog are richly blessed.  Even when all hell is breaking loose around us, there are things to be grateful for – even if it’s just that we have our next breath of life.  And always remember, there is always someone around you going through worse than you are.

I also decided to begin the Peak Fitness exercise program found at this link:  http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/02/10/phil-campbell-interview.aspx.  I literally only exercised 3 times a week for the recommended 20 minute time period.  I actually got on and used the elliptical machine I had purchased for over a $1000 years before and never had used!  I have not stopped doing this program ever since and have added to it.

The change of daily focus to something I was grateful for and the endorphins released by that small quantity of exercise radically changed my emotional outlook and mood.  I’ve never been the same since.  Just enough light entered my world through those 2 activities to help me step forward and make the changes that I needed to make to get out of my “edge” experience.

Life is not perfect for me now.  I still struggle with major stress because I own a business.  However, my gratitude journal and exercise program help me keep a positive focus and attitude.  Throughout the day as I get distracted by the craziness of my world, I constantly try to bring my focus back to all the things for which I have to be grateful.

I encourage each of you to begin a gratitude journal (and exercise program too!) for the coming New Year.  Start even now if you can!  It may help you survive the Holiday Season!  Getting your eyes off of your problems and on to your blessings changes your focus in life.  Altering your focus to one that is positive, glass half full, opens up your mind, will, emotions, body, and spirit to positive change in your life. 

I hope you have a truly blessed New Year!

Sincerely,
Tabetha L. Smith, FNP-C

No comments:

Post a Comment